Thursday 9 April 2015

Emirates CV Drop Off Day: What to Expect!

Emirates CV Drop Off Day 


What to Expect!

'It's always been my dream to be cabin crew.'

I can't say this is my own view. But expect to hear it a lot at a CV Open Day!

Personally, I applied after a friend recommended it for me. Emirates are the industry leaders, and from what I've widely heard a brilliant employer. If you're going to apply for an airline, and you're in Dubai already why not try the very best? 



So, your application has been successful - congrats! Most likely you've got an invite email to a CV Drop Off Day. 

Your email may state something like the following:

'Emirates will be hosting an Invite Only - Recruitment Event near you. If you would like to attend please bring an updated CV, a photograph and a copy of this letter.'


As well as being pleased, and rightly so you've done brilliantly! Your initial reaction is probably one of confusion about what to bring with you. Online sources often cite a long list of documents.

Do not worry! For the CV Drop off day you really only need to bring the basics the email suggests. They may ask for the longer list of documents if you reach a final interview.

Bring the following with you: 

  • Printed copy of your CV - amended to suit the role
  • Copy of the letter stated - just print the email! 
  • A pen - you will fill out a short doc of personal details
  • A photograph - Take your head shot passport sized


Your Passport Photo
This size and style. If you need to convert yours click here


..and lastly a smile! You'll need to smile a lot!

What should I wear? 

I'm no fashion guru by any means.. so I'll go by the official line here! It is common consensus that Emirates favors a more conservative look at these events. 

I'm not sure if this is necessarily true and you will see all sorts of 'looks', but it tended to be the rule of the majority! 

By this I mean the following is expected: 

Men 

In their own words 'suit & tie'. Standard. Not much to be concerned about here! The majority go with a dark/navy suit, sensible smart shoes and a professional tie. Done!

I made the quantum leap forward myself from a dark black suit in my photos to a navy one for the event.. No problems!

This!



Definitely not this!

Women 

I'm by no means an expert here and there's a lot of insightful female sources available (please check further reading at the bottom of the post if unsure!) But there was a certain look frequently seen on girls at the event. 

Emirates suggests the following:

'Ladies - knee length skirt/dress with skin coloured stockings.'

This is pretty much what the girls opted for. Some practically emulated the female cabin crew uniform in its entirety! I'd imagine that's fine, but the majority I encountered opted for dark skirt, jacket white blouse and sensible heels. 

You should be fine if you copy something like this!

Why am i going into such depth here? A meticulous look is very much expected of course, successful candidates are the face of the business. Make sure you're groomed and good to go! 

My Experience 

Emirates HQ, Dubai - Impressive. 

I received my invitation from Emirates on the 23rd of March, the event was on the 27th - not much time to get ready! I swiftly compiled the above documents and was good to go. 

I'm on a long visit in Dubai, so my invite stipulated I go directly to the Careers Centre at their Headquarters across from Terminal 3 where they are based in Garhoud. 

I was expected to be there for 9am sharp. Knowing punctuality is paramount I set off a good 90 mins early.. 

I was indeed very early. I parked up round the corner from the impressive glass paneled building that comprises the headquarters. Nerves were kicking in a bit now so I got out the car and took in some fresh air, right good to go best not be late!

I quite quickly found out the aforementioned punctuality was not as necessary as I thought on this occasion. The place was packed! I'd estimate there was about 1200 people there - and these were all invitees! Amazing. It felt quite like everyone aged in their 20s & 30s in Dubai was here! 



Candidate, after candidate, after candidate ;) 
                                       
I quickly found a spot where I could lean my documents and started mingling with the other candidates. Now I'm as shy as they come so DO NOT WORRY. Everyone was lovely and you'll quickly make friends if you make at least a minimal effort. 

Due to such a high turnout, it seemed that on-site security were drafted in to organize the masses! When 9am came round they swiftly placed us into two lines of candidates based on gender. It was all professionally done. 

Now, you might be thinking the mens line must have been the ideal one to be in, cabin crew applicants are typically female. Not this time! The girls numbered merely a couple of hundred and were swiftly attended to. The guys on the other hand... 


An impressive turnout! 

Well what can I say, the mens queue was expansive! Security kindly let us take some leisure time while we waited our turn to enter the auditorium. Cue mass scenes of somewhat awkward male bonding. 

Not for me fortunately, I'd been fortunate enough to befriend a group at the entrance (we actually remain in touch now!) I quite enjoyed the break and the chance to befriend some of the other candidates so don't be in a hurry. 

It is a fantastic premises I highly recommend going out on the balcony if you get a chance - it's really interesting to see the planes over theway, and they even have a Costa Coffee, so relax, re-energize and await your turn if this situation befalls you!   


Relax and unwind whilst you wait!
I actually treated the waiting process much like I would boarding a plane, sat back had a coffee and got acquainted with my new-found friends and when they made the 'final boarding call' i.e., inviting the last group into the auditorium to meet the recruiters.. 

It was that time! 

Rather then mentally rifling through my pitch I remember my overwhelming thought was what a fantastic room the auditorium was. Rather grand, and with luxurious cinema-style seating. Not unlike their business class specification actually, very nice! 

I was ushered to a seat and at the front there was no less then 5 Emirates recruiters observing us all very closely. When everyone was seated they gave us a quick speech about what to expect on the day, and fielded a couple of questions. It was all very informative. 

After this came the moment of truth - the CV drop off itself!

Remain cool, calm and collected!



Put simply, there was a recruiter in front of each row of us and one-by-one we each went up to the front and..

- exchanged greetings

- filled out a short form

- handed over a CV Copy and One Photo

- asked a quick 1-2 questions by the recruiter 

..and that's everything! 

When it was my turn I approached the gentleman at the desk and said 'good afternoon' (it was by this point!) 'Thank you kindly for the invite today'. 

Then I filled out the aforementioned short form with name, DOB, and a couple of additional personal details. I also handed my CV and photo (one passport-sized only) back to the recruiter and he asked..

'What are you doing currently in Dubai?' 

Phew. Easy enough answer here!

'I'm an accountancy student visiting Dubai from the UK.' 

I uttered. 

'OK, great thank you very much. Next please!' 

Was that it? Wow. I went back to wait in the lobby, wondering if such a short session with the recruiter was a positive or a negative sign. We were directed to check the notice boards at half 2 when the results would be posted.

Successful candidates would find their names highlighted those who were unsuccessful on this occasion would be left blank.

I wouldn't call the atmosphere in the lobby that tense. People were generally chatting and getting reacquainted with one another, having their lunch or having a cigarette on the balcony. Although there was a couple of folk visibly shaking.

I went to the restroom and there was an array of guys frantically combing their hair and preening themselves to perfection. 

They mustn't have got the memo that the day would be over at this point! 


Cabin-crew ready..

Anyway, at half past 2 the recruiters emerged and posted their lists to the notice board. People frantically scrambled forward to check they'd made the cut and the anticipated scenes of jubilation and disappointment followed! 

I hung back for about 5-10 minutes (you were never going to be able to read the list at that point anyway!) Eventually the rabble subsided and I went forward to check on my progress.

SUCCESS! My name was highlighted, and my friends on the day were through also. Fortunate really, as they'd eliminated roughly two thirds of the male candidates. 

I bid farewell to my new friends, and went home to expect an email with details of the forthcoming assessment day.

My Advice to Candidates for the Day

Do not worry! You'll have a great experience whatever the outcome. Try and get a good sleep the night before, if you can't try a herbal sleep remedy. I didn't sleep well the night before and felt a bit silly for getting so nervous after! 

Dress to Impress! A lot of the other candidates certainly will be, and you want to be no exception. Have your outfit ready the night before too, these events are often quite early. 

Interact! Chances are you'll meet some great people on the day if you make the effort. I've made a couple of firm friends I'm still in contact with I met at the event. These people could also be with you at the assessment day, or even your future colleagues!

Smile! Yes it cliche, but you want to look inviting and approachable. A natural smile is imperative, I'm not one to talk here as I didn't smile very much until I had my braces off, but don't give off a fake smile. Smile through your eyes!

Prepare! They may not ask very much at a drop off day, but for the short-time you're in front of them you want to be ready. Have your CV up to date, have a pen handy and have your statement pre-prepared. 

And thats about it! 

Further Reading and Info 

There are plenty of great places to check on the web for info. I recommend all the below:

Youtube

Lisa Single - Great advice from a current Cabin Crew member. I found the videos very insightful. Q&As, What to Expect Scenarios, and make up and beauty for girls are all covered brilliantly. 

MahdiaBeauty - Brilliant videos from a recent former Cabin Crew member. All with a great sense of humour. She knows her stuff and you'll learn about the process and job from viewing at the same time! 

Blogs and Articles 

Maryke in Dubai - She covers everything. A fantastic blog. 

Life as a Butterfly - Insightful. 

AlexkasParis - This covers the practical areas like paperwork and documentation nicely. 


Lastly don't forget to check out the forums on CabinCrew.com and FlightAttendantCentral.com. You'll find great tips from others going through the process at Emirates and other airlines. 

Finally, good luck! I hope you are successful! 




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your information with us.


    Email hosting Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi was the assessment day the next day after cv drop or later

    ReplyDelete